Our Top Tips for Transplanting Trees
Sometimes, trees need to be moved. Whether it’s due to finding a better location for them, or having trees outgrow their space, transplants can be inevitable.
To assist you with transplanting your trees carefully and safely, we have put together some of our top tips for what to do (and what not to do).
What to Do When Transplanting Trees
Here are some vital tips for transplanting your trees properly.
1. One of the most important things to consider when transplanting trees is the time of year you choose to do it. Ideally, you would complete the transplant while all of your plants and trees are dormant, anytime from late fall to early spring. That way you don’t disrupt the tree and its roots from a steady flow of water.
2. If you are transferring trees for spacing reasons, make sure you choose an area that gets the appropriate amount of sun, shade, and rain. A tree that is newly transplanted may not survive if it doesn’t also have ideal conditions to grow.
3. When it comes to transferring young trees versus mature ones, there isn’t too much of a difference to the process and recovery. As long as you do it properly and carefully, both should be able to thrive.
4. Another thing to keep in mind while completing the transplant is making sure that the tree is fully hydrated before getting started. The tree is going to lose a lot of its root system, so you want to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible.
Let’s also take a look at some things to avoid when transplanting your trees.
What to Avoid When Transplanting Trees
While you now have helpful tips to make a successful transfer, there are some things to avoid as well.
1. Make sure that you don’t rush the process. Give yourself a few hours or an afternoon to plan and execute the tree transplant.
2. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, don’t attempt it – hire a professional. Ensuring that the job is done properly by either you or someone else will avoid the tree getting harmed or dying.
3. Don’t attempt to remove and transplant a tree that is sick or deteriorating. This could further damage it or even kill the tree. If it’s a tree that has to be moved regardless, consider contacting a professional for assistance.
Our Final Thoughts on Transplanting Trees
No matter the situation, giving the tree transplant the time and care it requires will result in success.
If you do need further assistance to complete the task, contact your local tree care professionals for help. For those of you in the San Francisco Bay Area, Arborist Now can assist you with successfully transplanting trees. Contact us today for more information!